Skip to main content

Random Thoughts - Why do we collect? An honest confession

20140617_065704

Random Thoughts - When I started back in 2009; I would never thought that toy collecting was considered a hobby. I bought my first leader class Starscream for a reason to decorate my room and thought it would look cool on my computer desk. I was always the gaming geek at heart. If I was a collectors back then like I am today; I would have a huge collection of toys (not specifically Transformers) right now. Luckily I was not. I do have a special place in my heart for toys such as Transformers, Macross and recently Gundam since I was a kid. Here is my honest confession.


'Diversify'

Anyway, after a year and since the upcoming movie of Transformers Dark of The Moon; I began to get hooked. I was introduce to a group called 'Brunei Toy Collectors' and it was the only group that really keep me going until now. Later on, my collecting desire went 'diversify'. I collected 1/64 die-cast car such as Hot Wheels, building Gundam and later on Lego. I also bought a few of my childhood and teenagers dream toy such as Macross Valkyrie, Power Ranger Megazord, Kamen Rider, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle and a few Star Wars figure.


20140603_023017

Honest Mistake

A few years later; I realize that having a lot of carded Hot Wheels was a big mistake. I should have remove it from its box instead. Honestly; having a variation will not make you stop collecting Hot Wheels. And now; I am happy that I have loose Hot Wheels instead and more focused on a larger scale collection - 1/24 scale. It is amazing that above 1/50 scale has the most beautiful details and more like the real thing. One thing led to another. And that is when the Masterpiece returned.


20140602_012437

To sell or not to sell? To buy or not?

There is a time; when you want to buy something new and had to sell some of your collection. Later on you realize that you make a huge mistake. To me; that did happen once or twice. I would not mentioned which line I did regret selling. But I did not regret selling all my M. Bay Transformers. So far the only Transformers that I still kept is the CHUG (short abbreviation of Classic, Henkei, Universe and Generation). CHUG is simply G1 2.0.

Buying is another mistake. There is a time when the Transformers tide were really calm (especially when it came to TF: Prime). I was not in the mood of buying those toy line. So I am more focus on other toy line such as Gundam, Hot Wheels and Lego. But there is problem when collecting those toy line. You need time if you want to build Gundam. So does Lego and it is so expensive compare to Transformers and Gundam. I build Lego due to the fact that I want the mini figure for my toy photography. All I can say; it became a 'unconscious impulse buying' habit. Felt terrible when in the end of the day that you suffered the most. In the end; all of those toys will go to a big container. Later I was poisoned to get the TF: Prime RID Vehicon and felt that it was not that bad. Later on, the tide became a big wave. There were some figure that was good but most of them were bad design. Until Takara came up with characters that are not available to Hasbro.


20140602_011216

Family and a Child's Dream

To me; being a collectors is somehow connected to our childhood dream. Some of those toy we used to play when we were kids. But my most strongest reason would be; buying the toys that you cannot afford when you were a kid. My family was not very privilege; in other words, not very rich. Having five children and a big responsibility (house, bills and etc); my parents has a lot to save in their pocket rather than buying toys for us. I know and understand that feeling as I am now a father of one. I can feel that after getting married and having a child; I am more reluctant to spend money carelessly. For all the things that I care in my life; my family comes first.


20140603_024322

Challenges Ahead?

By now; I am very particular on the selection of my Transformers figure. Although the movie Age of Extinction toy line has been released here; I am being careful not to make the same mistake twice. Although the movie was received with mix reaction; I think I will not go to the cinema anytime soon. The things they said about the movie was really bad but the toy line is selling really well.

With the upcoming festive season and thinking about owning a house one day; I am trying to slow down the best I can. Although there will be so many exciting and new Transformers figure on the horizon; I really need to save up instead. So now, I am better off focusing on the Masterpiece and 30th Generation line as it is the closest thing you can get to your childhood dream.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CW Powerglide

Combiner Wars - Finally a better looking Powerglide. I can't afford to buy the Classic 2.0 Powerglide; so this would be quite a nice value for your money. Basically, Powerglide is one of the G1 mini-bot (and how I wish that Beachcomber and Seaspray would be redesign). When Hasbro announce Powerglide as a legend class Combiner Wars figure; I was really excited. The new figure is the best looking Powerglide known and identical to his animation counterpart. And the best part; he transform himself into a powerful blaster for the combiners. Here is my review of him.

AoE Evolution Pack - Optimus Prime

Age of Extinction - Sorry for the late update. Been busy with life and collecting some masterpiece along the way. This double pack caught my eyes because of the classic/henkei mold. I already have the AoE Evasion Optimus (but never did review it); so here is my chance to review it all at once.

30th Generation Hoist

30 th Generation - I have reviewed the legend class Hoist before ( Click Here ). Now after more than a year; Hasbro released the 30 th Generation Hoist. It looks really amazing and I really love it very much. I won't say much but here is a review of Hoist